Uploaded on 28 March, 2013
Dr. Edward H. Hammond, FHSU president, invited the panelists for the symposium intended to help chart a new direction for campus news media in the wake of the suspension of the student newspaper, The University Leader. The last printed issue of The Leader appeared on newsstands on Jan. 31. A reduction in funding from the Student Government Association, together with inadequate advertising revenue, forced it to cease publishing printed editions. An online version of The Leader continues.The symposium was held on Tuesday, March 26, in the Black and Gold Room on the second floor of FHSU’s Memorial Union. Students, faculty, staff, alumni and the general public were encouraged to attend.
- Scott Reinardy, associate professor and chair of the News and Information Track in the William Allen White School of Journalism at the University of Kansas;
- Gary Shorman, president and CEO of Eagle Communications, which is headquartered in Hays;
- Ralph Gage, director of special projects for The Lawrence Journal-World;
- Pat Lowry, editor and publisher of The Hays Daily News;
- Laura York Guy, a member of the Board of Directors of the National Scholastic Press Association, first vice president of Kansas Collegiate Media, and media instructor and media adviser at Garden City Community College.